ads

Friday 25 July 2014

NIGERIAN TEEN STRIKES GOLD IN WEIGHTLIFTING

 
A 16 years of age , Chika Amalaha as won the gold in the women's 53kg weightlifting category at the Commonwealth Games on Friday.  Reports says Amalaha snatched a best of 85kg before managing 111kg in the clean and jerk for a total of 196kg.

Papua New Guinea's Dika Toua took silver at the Clyde Auditorium with 193kg (82+111), with India's Santoshi Matsa claiming bronze with 188kg (83+105).
I'm absolutely delighted," said Amalaha. "I wasn't coming here to go for gold, I just wanted to break my own record. I'm so happy that I'm going home with gold in my first Commonwealth Games.
"I started at the age of 12, but my family were strongly against me doing the sport at first. They kept me telling to stop doing it, but I persuaded them by getting a female coach.
"From then on, it was hard work, training, a lot of pain and dedication that got me here today. And now my family were in the audience and they are so


No comments:

Post a Comment